Thurs Engineer Academy (School Years 3-6)
Time & Location
About the Event
Across a five-week term, children take part in hands on creative activities creating simple machines, structures, boats and flying objects, as they learn about what it takes to be an engineer.
Class Dates & Topics:
1) Thursday 11th June: Introduction to Engineering & Machines
In this first class, we learn about what engineering is and the skills required and then introduce the six simple machines by building one of them.
2) Thursday 18th June: Simple Machines
This week we go a bit deeper into simple machines and make our own pulley and/or winch. We use problem-solution engineering skills in a design challenge.
3) Thursday 25th June: Structures
Next we take a look at structures and explore engineering principles as we create some structures of our own.
4) Thursday 2nd July: Boats
We look at the principles of upthrust and water displacement as we look at and build our own boats.
5) Thursday 9th July: Flying Objects
In our final week, we look back at what we've learnt and think about aerodynamic principles as we design flying objects.
- Access to a computer or other device to use Zoom.us and sufficient internet speed to stream video
- Paper/Pen, pencil and colours
- Various household junk materials throughout the term - we will give you advance notice of what is needed each week and can help adapt resources where you don't have them available
- Various other construction materials which we will send out a list of when you sign up. These include: string/thread, paper cups or plastic pots, aluminium foil, cling film, (duct) tape, coins, craft sticks, straws.
- We always ask that you remain nearby to provide any assistance during the class if necessary
- You can see a full list of resources under Engineer Academy at: https://www.inventorsandmakers.com/class-resources
Each class provides plenty of scope for children to continue with activities in their own time, meaning they can be kept busy for time beyond the class. However, there is no homework requirement and children can do as little or as much as they like between weekly classes.
If your child has attended any of our classes before, we will bear this in mind when recapping any skills they may have already learnt. However, while there may be some parts that children will have covered before, please note that these are brand new classes with new content and focus.
These classes are led by a qualified and experienced teacher and we take a maximum of 10 children (or children with siblings) per class.
When a class fills up, we will start a second cohort of children and begin the 5-week course when we have sufficient children in that cohort. Please spread the word to your friends to make sure we can fill the cohorts to go ahead.
If children are to return to school before the end of the 5-week term we will reschedule remaining classes. Where this is not possible we will refund for remaining classes.
- Sold OutOne Child (£7.99 per class)£39.95£39.950£0
- Sold Out2x Siblings (£11.99 per class)£59.95£59.950£0