Marvellous Makers-Wednesdays (School Years 1-2)
Time & Location
About the Event
FULLY BOOKED. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the waiting list.
Across a six-week term, children take part in different tinkering and making projects which will help develop their scientific, technological and engineering skills. Tickets are only available for all six classes in the term.
Class Dates & Topics:
1) Wednesday 29th April: Brilliant Buildings
In this first class, we learn about buildings, design and create our own building and complete an engineering challenge.
2) Wednesday 6th May: Bold Bridges
This week we design and build a troll-proof bridge! We explore shape, structure and weight and consider ways to make our bridge even better.
3) Wednesday 13th May: Float Your Boat
We will learn about different boats and complete fun, floating and balancing challenges. Then we will create our own boats out of junk modelling to test and evaluate.
4) Wednesday 20th May: Super Stop Motion
This week we will learn (or recap) how to use the Stop Motion Studio app to make moving 2D pictures and movies.
5) Wednesday 27th May: Tower Power
We will think about how we can help Rapunzel and design a pulley system to help carry things to the top of a homemade tower.
6) Wednesday 3rd June: Roller Coaster Fun
For the last week of term, we will put all our problem solving, making and engineering skills to use with a final design challenge!
- Access to a computer or other device to use Zoom.us and sufficient internet speed to stream video
- Paper and pencil
- Scissors, glue and tape
- Various household junk materials throughout the term - we will give you advance notice of what is needed each week and can help adapt resources where you don’t have them available
- Available toy figures and blocks e.g. Lego, Star Wars, Sylvanian families, or other small toys
- Pennies or other coins - for classes 1 and 3 only
- A separate device - iPad, iPhone or android phone with Stop Motion Studio app installed (free app available from Google Play or the App Store) with sufficient storage to take at least 50 photos - for class 4 only
- Marbles or other small balls - for class 6 only
- Adult supervision by remaining close by during the class
Each class provides plenty of scope for children to continue with activities in their own time, meaning they can be kept busy for time beyond the class. However, there is no homework requirement and children can do as little or as much as they like between weekly classes.
If your child has attended any of our classes before, we will bear this in mind when recapping any skills they may have already learnt. However, while there may be some parts that children will have covered before, please note that these are brand new classes with new content and focus.
These classes are led by a qualified and experienced teacher and we take a maximum of 10 children (or children with siblings) per class.
When a class fills up, we will start a second cohort of children and begin the 6-week course when we have sufficient children in that cohort. Please spread the word to your friends to make sure we can fill the cohorts to go head.
If schools return before the end of the 6-week term we will reschedule remaining classes.
- Sold OutOne Child (£7.90 per class)£47.40£47.400£0